2017 Ambassador's Commendation to H. E. Mr. Adriano do Nascimento, Presidnet of Timor-Leste / Japan Parliamentary Friendship League
1. On 11 August, 2017, Mr. Eiji Yamamoto, Ambassador of Japan to Timor-Leste awarded Ambassador’s Commendation to H. E. Mr. Adriano do Nascimento, President of Timor-Leste/Japan Parliamentary Friendship League for his outstanding contributions to promote and enhance mutual understanding and friendship between Japan and Timor-Leste.
2. H. E. Mr. Nascimento has been serving as President of Timor-Leste/Japan Parliamentary Friendship League since its foundation in June 2008. The Friendship League was formed as the very first parliamentary friendship league with a foreign nation in Timor-Leste’s National Parliament.
3. H. E. Mr. Nascimento visited Japan twice in 2009 and 2014 in order to deepen its Friendship Leagues’s exchange with Japanese Parliament members and its government officials. When he visited Japan in 2014, he met Mr Akamatsu, the vice-chair of the House of Representatives, Mr Yamasaki, the chair of the House of Councillors, and Mr Koshiishi, the vice- chair of the House of Councillors. Meanwhile, he kindly hosted welcome dinners for both H.E. Mr Jonouchi, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, in 2013 and H.E Mr Mitsuya, the State Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, in 2014, for their visits to Timor-Leste. Through these friendly and high-level interactions, both nations have been very pleased to see growing understanding on a variety of topics, including national politics, economy and social lives.
4. Additionally, on the passing of Mr Kawakami, the United Nations Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General in 2010, along with the resolution for commemorating him at the National Parliament, the Parliamentary Friendship League offered its condolences in a letter sent to Japanese counterpart. In response to the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami that occurred on 11 March 2011, Mr Nacimento phoned the Embassy of Japan to express his condolences, as well as he sent a letter as President of the Parliament Friendship League to offer their condolences. He has continuously shown a strong friendship and solidarity between Japan and Timor-Leste as seen above.
5. Ambassador Yamamoto and the members of Parliamentary Friendship League shared their strong intentions for gearing up the currently well-forged ties between each member on both sides under the upcoming National Parliament of Timor-Leste.